ARMED FORCES DAY & PURBECK AT WAR WEEKEND 2015
FRIDAY 26th JUNE (19:30)
“DORSET TRANSPORT GOES TO WAR”
Illustrated Talk by historian/author Brian Jackson at Catholic Church Hall, Rempstone Road, Swanage. Donation £2.50 (includes Tea/Coffee and Biscuit)
SATURDAY 27th and SUNDAY 28th JUNE (10:00-16:00)
- All Steam Yellow Timetable (replaces scheduled Green Timetable for weekend)
- Flypast by Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Dakota in the livery of 233 Squadron – FZ692 ‘Kwicherbichen’ along full length of Railway from Norden to Swanage:
- Saturday flypast around 16:40 (4.40pm)
- Sunday flypast around 12:50
Flypasts subject to the plane’s availability and weather conditions each day
- Free Travel for Armed Forces Personnel during the weekend. (On production of Forces ID).
PURBECK MINERAL & MINING MUSEUM, NORDEN
- Purbeck at War display: “Clay Mining and Miners during WW1 & WW2 ”
CORFE CASTLE STATION
- Railway Museum WW2 Railway-themed display (with period exhibits from Swanage Railway Museum’s current and reserve collections)
- Ticket Office Hall “Bovington Military Railway ” – display showing this WW1 railway
- Platform 1 (to Norden) Swanage Railway Sygnets Display & Stand
HARMANS CROSS STATION
- Down Platform (to Swanage) Military themed Model Railway layout demonstration (provided by Mike Walshaw)
- Up Platform (to Corfe Castle) Purbeck at War displays:
- “Bf109 downed near Harmans Cross”
- “ B24 Liberator bomber ‘Misery Agent’ Crash near Corfe Castle”
- “Flight Commander Bob Doe DFC”
- Swanage Army Link display vehicle
- Southern Railway Steam Breakdown Crane – (subject to availability)
- Battle of Britain Class locomotive 34070 “Manston” on static display (hopefully with opportunities for footplate visits)
- 2433 (Ramsgate & Manston) Squadron, Air Training Corps (ATC) award-winning Band performing both days as part of their 50th Anniversary commemorations.
- RAF Association (Poole Branch) “Battle of Britain Wings Appeal” stand. Assisted by 2185 Wareham and Swanage Detached Flight Air Training Corps. Cadets
- The Fabulous Mellor Sisters – Victoria and Rebecca Mellor sing and swing to the songs of the 40’s and 50’s, leading you on a wander down
More Information Can be found on the Swanage Railway Website.
LocationCorfe Castle Station
Station Road, Corfe Castle, Dorset, BH20 5EJ United Kingdom
Disclaimer: The event details are believed to be correct at time of publication. Please check with the event organiser if you have any questions.